Monday 26 September 2011

Wholemeal Banana Bread





If you are from Australia, you would know that banana prices have been around the $12 a kilo mark, something that makes me want to cry. Bananas and I are like lovers. I used to eat them everyday, twice a day. My favourite fruit without a doubt. My boyfriend hates them, which makes me love him more as I get to eat the whole bunch! He likes banana bread though...

Imaging my excitement, when I saw in the fruit shop mushy bananas reduced....rapidly reduced!

This banana bread is incredibly moist and light, however it fills you up and is bound to get you over the three-thirty blues. The great thing about this recipe is that it can be changed to suit your dietary requirements or likes. For example, you could add nuts or even chocolate chips. Today, cause I could I added passionfruit.

This banana bread has been changed from the original recipe which can be found here. As I said this recipe is incredibly versatile and can be adapted to include anything you like. Below is the basic recipe.


INGREDIENTS
2 cups of wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
3 lg very ripe bananas mashed
1/2 cup of orange juice
1/2 cup of Honey
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup of natural yogart
zest of a lemon or an orange (optional)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Butter a loaf tin.
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl together, mix till combine.
Add all the wet ingredients (This includes the banana and Honey).
Fold all the ingredients with a spatula.

Pour the mixture into the loaf tin (It should go close to the top of the tin- don't worry it should go up and not over the tin).
Put it in the oven for 50 minutes.
To check if it is cooked insert a knife and if it comes out clean it is cooked, if not continue to cook for 5 minutes.
BEWARE: Because there is banana in this recipe, the knife may not come out completely clean.

2 comments:

  1. I love this whole blog Danielle. Defs looking forward to reading MANY more of your posts. Feel free to bake me this banana bread anytime xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious! i love to add a few nuts to the bater and then top it with a cream cheese icing. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are appreciated...Just keep it clean.